Friday, October 25, 2013

Remodeling The Den

Today I started in the Den, It is the darkest room in the house, having one entire end of the room with a built in cabinet. Nothing but paneling in the house. Paneling has to be the biggest mistake of the 1960's. Something that was once popular will, if given enough time, almost always circles back into popularity again. I'm not talking about full length solid wood paneling, that is a different story. But the veneer paneling... that should have stayed gone. Instead it has found its way back to becoming popular. I am going to pass up that train and go with something else.


As you can see my camera can't even take a good picture because of the darkness of the room.


And to make things worse...the same green paint theme continued from the kitchen.




So my first project is to paint the built in. I wanted to start there because even though its causing a lot of darkness, it still is a focal point in the room.


I used the dark paneling in a positive way by painting my new color over it and allowing the dark brown to show through. Taking a dry brush and wiping back off the wet paint to make it look distressed.  
I wanted the built in to look more like a piece of furniture than just a built in. 
You can already see how much it brightened up.


I then changed the hardware to some vintage pieces.


Then painted the remaining walls a light beige to compliment


Added Thrift Store Valance $2.00



And painted the trim white.

  • Paint (dent sale)                             $5.00
  • Paint for built in  (mismatched)        $5.00
  • Thrift Store Valance                       $2.00
  • --------------------------------------------
Total Of Today's Project                         $12.00












No comments:

Post a Comment