Thursday, October 24, 2013

Kitchen Remodeling Project Day 2 by Junkin4Humanity

Kitchen Remodeling Project Day 2

Tonight I want to finish up our kitchen project. Yesterday we got the wallpaper hung. Although, I never thought I would ever hang wallpaper again. Today I started painting the walls a lighter color over top of the light green walls. Don't get me wrong, I love the color of green, but this color had to been given to the person who painted this room. No one would have bought this on purpose, mismatched paint or not. I went with a white with beige undertones on the wall and it's amazing how much it brightened the room. 

Kitchen Before

On the other wall I needed to take care of the 2 holes that were hidden behind a unsightly curtain and paint the wall as well. I opted for a contrasting color above the uppers that complimented the wallpaper.

Kitchen After

As far as the holes, I decided to go with a handmade creation. I found 2 mirrors (.99) in my "shed stash" along with some silver forks (bag for $1.00) I had. I flattened the forks out and bent the tines and hot glued them to the glass.

Mirror Art

I then took a board that originally came from a dresser drawer bottom (donated). It was an antique newspaper that had been pressed onto the board years ago. I then placed the mirrors on top, measured my wall openings and cut to fit.

Wooden Dresser Board

The plaques were hung over the holes and I also added chicken wire and a chalkboard sign (leftover from previous projects). I love to be able to change the bible verses their each day. It also helps us to learn them as well.


On this wall I took a old rod iron plate holder ($2.50) and painted it to go with my "metalware" look. I love all the old tins and brasses.


The curtain ($2.00) I searched high and low for at the thrift stores. I needed something with the colors of all the metalware that I had. This was the closest thing I could find but unfortunately was a panel, not a valance. I hate to sew so I took burlap (roll $3.00) and drew them up to make it more aesthetic. Then hot glued old vintage hardware (shed stash)  to the burlap.

Upcycled Window Panel


Before and After's


Before and After Kitchen

Before and After Kitchen

Before and After Kitchen

.99 cent Thrift Store Canoe Picture

.99 cent Thrift Store Canoe Picture

Miscellaneous Metalware (.49-2.00)

  Miscellaneous Metalware (.49-2.00)


Starting on the Den Tomorrow's Blog!


  • 2 mirrors                                                         $  .99
  • silver forks (bag for $1.00)                           $1.00
  • dresser drawer bottom (donated)                $  .00
  •  chalkboard sign (leftover from projects)     $  .00
  • old rod iron plate holder                                $2.50
  • burlap (roll)                                                     $3.00
  • Thrift Store Canoe Picture                           $ .99
  • Miscellaneous Metalware (.49-2.00)          $6.00
  • ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • TOTAL OF TODAY’S PROJECT              $14.48
















No comments:

Post a Comment