Saturday, October 26, 2013

Primitive Wreath Made from old Maps

The primitive look is quite the rage for many crafters as well as home decorators. It is not just a fad, its a way of life. It is a decorating style that is simplistic, giving a feeling of warmth to a home. I love it because, it is a way to come in from the world into your own private space that quietly whispers a "welcome home" and tranquility to it.

One of my favorite things is old maps, atlases and globes. I always snatch them up when I'm thrift shopping. Since I had so many on hand, I thought I would make a wreath from them.


I got this wreath for .69


Removed the flowers


I then took an old book filled with maps I got for .25 and cut the maps into leaf shapes.
Then measured them out by laying them around the wreath. These leaves I wanted to fit the contour of the wreath itself. I then took the map leaves and soaked them in coffee to give more of a vintage look. Then laid them on the wreath to dry and fit to the contour of the wreath.


For the map leaves that would be stemming from the wreath, I also soaked them in the 
coffee mixture. Then laid them out in an egg carton to allow them to dry to a wrinkled look.


After they were dry, I alternated them with the ones I allowed to dry on the wreath and hot glued them.


I then added ribbon to the wreath. This one I made a rose out of the 
ribbon and hot glued it to the wreath to stay in place. If you need 
help on making a ribbon rose Factory Direct Craft has a good illustration.



  • wreath                    $  .49
  • ribbon                     $1.97
  • Old Atlas Book         $ .25
  • --------------------------------------------
Total Of Today's Project   $2. 71












No comments:

Post a Comment