Saturday, November 2, 2013

Creative Chalkboard For The Holidays

Here is a cute idea for a gift for the person who loves shabby chic, or just likes to stay organized. Instead of buying that expensive chalkboard or the even more, expensive chalkboard that you find at your neighborhood craft store, why not make one? 
I found this cute wood display at the thrift store and loved its "bones", so I decided I would make it into a chalkboard that I have been meaning to make for my kitchen.


What a deal .09!!


Directions

  1. I started out by sanding it down first.
  2. Then painted it with a black spray paint to give it some aesthetic texture for the final result. 
  3. After drying I painted it with a white wash; 2 parts paint with 1 part water.
  4. Removed the backboard and painted with chalkboard paint.
  5. While chalkboard is drying, I sanded the white frame for a distressed look and then applied liquid black antiquing. (remember a little goes a long way of this stuff.)
  6. I then reapplied the chalkboard to the back of the frame.
  7. Add any type of hardware, design, or stenciling.
  8. Where the gap was, I added a piece of brass that use to be on an old vintage window and cut to fit. Giving it more flair as well as covering the gap.
There you have it!! A Custom Made Chalkboard for a fraction of store prices. Even if you were to give as a gift, no one will ever know that you spent next to nothing. All they will see is all the love that went into a custom gift just for them.

After I made this, the next morning my wonderful guy left me my first note to wake up to. He really is the best!





  • Thrift Store Wood Display                       $.09
  • Chalkboard and Paint (on hand)               $.00

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  • TOTAL OF TODAY’S PROJECT                   $.09


No comments:

Post a Comment